* 5 October: an evening hosted by HHfR at the Avenues Centre raised £372 in donations. We were delighted to have so many people attend to see our four speakers, Anne Bates, who works as a volunteer in Greece, Abid Pervez of Calais Refugee Aid, Bashir Siraj of Open Doors in Hull, and Gaida Dirar a former refugee now living in Hull. Their presentations were followed by amazing food made by two of our volunteers, Zaidee and Syeda.
* 18 October HHfR hosted another production of The Castaways by White Tree Theatre, at the Guildhall. Thank you so much to Charlotte Wood and Becky Thompson from the White Tree Theatre Company, and also to Councillor Pantilakis for working so hard to ensure that it happened, councillors Daren Hale, Nadine Fudge and Haraldo Herrera-Richmond for funding it for us, for the very helpful staff who opened the doors and looked after everyone, and Sarah and Jamie Akrill for filming. It was very well received by a good sized audience and raised £345 in donations.
* 10 November, we had a stall at the Vintage Fair organised by Dove House at the Church on the Way on Princes Avenue. Lots of fantastic stalls, music and cake.
* Most of October and November has been taken up with our winter appeal for donations for a convoy to Greece organised by Hope and Aid Direct. We have received huge amounts of clothes, toiletries and banana boxes to pack them in. The Church of Latter-Day Saints and students from St Mary's joined our regular volunteers in several packing sessions to get everything ready. Many of the sleeping bags collected from Leeds Music Festival went too. The truck is now on its way to Lesbos. A couple of our volunteers are also going to Calais later in the month, and will be taking as many donations as they can fit in their car.
* 1 December. Our next event is our Christmas fete, which this year is held in town, at Jubilee Church on King Edward Street. We would be very glad of any tombola prizes, our tombola stall is always very popular!
Our current drop off points are as follows:
Avenues Centre, HU5 4DA, Mon & Sat 10-12.
The Warren, HU1 3DR, Tues & Thurs 10-5, Wed 10-1, Fri 10-4.
Unison, HU1 2AG, Mon-Friday 9-4.
Ground, HU3 1YE, Tues 1-4 & 5-7, Thurs 2-7, Sat 12-5.